If There Is No Court Order, Both Parents Have Equal Custody Rights

In New York, legal matters pertaining the well-being of children are settled in family court. A custody order delegates the rights and responsibilities of parents in legal and physical custody orders for their child until the child is 18 years old. Parents have control over their custody order, and can agree to their own responsibilities over their child. However, when parents cannot agree about who will be responsible for their child’s care, the court gives custody of the child based on the best interest of the child.

At Ugell Law Firm, P.C., we understand how easily conflict can escalate when it comes to creating family agreements at a time of separation. We have helped families throughout the Lower Hudson Valley and Metropolitan New York areas for over 30 combined years to create lasting and flexible solutions, depending on a family’s need. Our lawyers will respect your values, privacy and efficiently help you resolve your child custody or support matters. Our legal services include:

  • Child custody agreements
  • Visitation rights and parenting plans
  • Appropriate child support
  • Enforcement of custody and support orders
  • Modification of custody and support orders
  • Domestic violence and orders of protection

Custody Matters In The Best Interest Of Your Child

Legal custody pertains to the right of the parent to make decisions for the child’s medical care or religious practices. When the court awards joint legal custody, both parents have equal legal responsibilities for these decisions for their child. The court may award sole custody to one parent if the other parent is not willing, interested or capable of making legal decisions for the child.

Physical custody, or residential custody, pertains to the rights and responsibilities of parents to provide physical care and nurturing for their child, where the child lives. The court may order joint custody where the child lives with each parent for an equal amount of time. Sometimes, sole custody is ordered because it is in the best interest of the child to live with one parent more than 50 percent of the time. If this is the case, the other parent — now the noncustodial parent — will be given visitation rights.

In addition to a child’s parents, grandparents and siblings may also file a petition asking the court for visitation.

Contact Our Approachable Family-Centered Law Firm Today

At Ugell Law Firm, P.C., we have over 30 combined years of experience to dedicate to helping you create a solid foundation for your child’s best interests. Call our firm in New City, New York, at 845-608-8098 to schedule an appointment with an experienced family law attorney. You may also briefly describe your legal need using our online contact form. Se Habla Español.