Trusted Bankruptcy Professionals With The Experience You Need
Even if you are very careful with money, you can face financial jeopardy because of one medical emergency, divorce or the loss of a job. Most of the time, debt problems are not the result of irresponsibility. This country’s economy runs on credit and debt, and nearly all people owe money, but the topic of bankruptcy is often surrounded by shame and stigma. It is important to note that if your debt burden has become unmanageable, pursuing bankruptcy or another debt relief may be the most responsible course of action.
Some people seek help from debt consolidation companies. However, many debt consolidation companies offer a quick fix, but end up disappearing, leaving people with more debt than when they contracted with the dishonest organization. Debt consolidation companies offer no legal protection for you.
If you have already filed bankruptcy without an attorney, we strongly encourage you to contact our office in New City right away via email or calling 845-608-8098. Bankruptcy is a complex process and your financial situation could be negatively affected if your petition is not properly prepared or filed. In fact, the improper handling of your bankruptcy filing could ultimately result in the dismissal of the bankruptcy with no debt relief.
The attorneys at the Ugell Law Firm, P.C. have been helping clients in New York resolve their debt issues for over 30 combined years. In addition, Scott B. Ugell is a member of the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA) and has met with U.S. Congressional staff on matters related to the U.S. bankruptcy code, keeping him abreast of the current issues and changes affecting bankruptcy law. In fact, all members of the Ugell Law Firm, P.C., participate in continuing education courses and seminars.
We Have Comprehensive Debt-Relief, Personal Bankruptcy And Business Bankruptcy Law Knowledge
The first thing you should know is that you are not powerless. You do not have to put up with creditor harassment or accept any terms that a creditor offers. State and federal laws give people who owe money certain protections and rights.
Some kinds of debt cannot be discharged in a bankruptcy, such as your student loans or domestic support payments, and tax debt may only be eliminated after certain conditions have been met. You will be able to discharge secured debts such as a boat or car loan, but the creditor is likely to repossess the secured asset. You may choose to “reaffirm” payment on the secured asset, meaning you will keep the item and agree to continue making monthly payments.
Our firm provides debt-relief counseling and bankruptcy representation. We have helped many people save their home from foreclosure and avoid creditors’ collections actions, sometimes without the necessity of filing for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
Whether you need assistance with your personal or business-related debt, we can help you file:
- Chapter 7 bankruptcy — Focused on discharging debt, and may include the liquidation of non-exempt assets to pay your creditors. You may also be able to remove judgment liens attached to your home and other assets.
- Chapter 13 bankruptcy — Focused on restructuring debt, allowing you to make affordable payments to your creditors and discharging your remaining debt after the completion of a three or five year payment plan. You may be able to remove second mortgages, home equity lines of credit, or judgment liens from your home.
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy — A less common option for struggling businesses, high net worth individuals, or estates. Focused on restructuring and negotiating debt to repay creditors, sometimes including the voluntary liquidation of assets to satisfy debts. In many cases the debtor acts as the trustee, called a “debtor-in-possession,” which allows the debtor to continue to operate.
Credit counseling is a required part of the bankruptcy process. We will show you ways to begin rebuilding your credit immediately. If filing bankruptcy is not the right choice for your family, another effective method to work through debt is to negotiate each debt individually. We can help you with debt relief options, including:
- Creditor debt negotiation: Negotiate vigorously with each creditor to lower your debt to a manageable payment as a single one-time lump sum or a monthly interest-free installment payment.
- Settlement agreements: Negotiate and draft a professional legal document binding you and your creditor to a payment agreement.
- Defense from creditors: We will direct your creditors to speak only with our office. In a case where a creditor has brought legal action against you, we can defend your rights and help fight to protect you from a money judgment.
- Payment plans: We can help negotiate a manageable repayment plan for almost any debt, including credit cards, medical bills and other consumer debts.
- Debt citations: If you have an outstanding citation fee from a motor vehicle violation, city ordinance or another difficult agency, don’t fight city hall on your own, let us help you.
- Judgments, income executions, wage garnishment and bank account restriction: If you have a judgment order, we will fight to minimize the damage, arrange terms to satisfy or terminate the judgment, or determine if there are grounds to vacate or remove the judgment, effectively stopping wage garnishment and restriction of any financial accounts.
Contact Us For Clear, Honest Answers To Your Bankruptcy Questions
Every bankruptcy is complex and involves a series of decisions and maneuvers. In all the years of our practice, we have never found two bankruptcy cases to be exactly alike. Every set of financial circumstances are different because every individual, family or small business is different. But there is one thing in common in every bankruptcy: Everyone with a debt problem starts the process by needing clear and honest answers to some very basic questions.
Contact Ugell Law Firm, P.C., in New City, New York, at 845-608-8098 or complete our online form to schedule a free consultation to discuss your circumstances with a bankruptcy lawyer. Se Habla Español.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code.